This is a Sotiropulos family recipe and probably one of the best baklava recipes around.
1 cup honey
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cinnamon stick
1 whole (not grated) fresh orange peel
Baklava Nut Mixture:
1 lb Walnuts
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
1 lb filo (or phyllo)
1 lb butter (melted)
- Combine all syrup ingredients in a pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat watching carefully to not boil over. Then reduce heat and slowly simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Cool syrup to room temperature. Syrup can be made a day or week ahead.
- Coarsely chop nuts.
- Mix nuts in bowl with sugar, cinnamon, allspice and ground cloves.
- Brush 9” x 13” x 2” pan with butter.
- Lay sheet of filo on bottom of the pan. Brush sheet with butter. Repeat until you have used about 8-10 sheets. (filo-butter-filo-butter…)
- Spread a thin layer (about 1/3 cup) of the nut mixture on top of filo. (2/3 C. if using an 18” x 24” pan) Cover with a sheet of filo. Brush filo with butter. Repeat this process (filo-butter-nuts, filo-butter-nuts…) until you have used all of the nut mixture.
- Finish with remaining sheets of filo, buttering each sheet as you layer it. (filo-butter, filo-butter-)
- Using a sharp knife, cut lengthwise first, then diagonally to form diamonds (see image).
- (If you have time, chill baklava in the refrigerator before cutting until top hardens so that it will be easier to cut.) Optional: insert a clove in the center of each piece.
Note: At this point you may refrigerate or freeze until ready to bake.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 – 60 minutes or until evenly golden brown.
Remove from oven and immediately pour cooled syrup evenly down each row on top of filo. Allow to cool before cutting and serving. Baklava keeps very well without refrigeration and can be made several days ahead
* 9×12 pan (about 36 pieces) (double all ingredients for 18” x 24” pan)