Garlic Sauce / Toum
4-5 cloves garlic, peeled
1 cup canola oil, or as needed (do not use olive oil as it can get bitter)
3 egg whites
1 pinch salt
2 tbsp lemon juice
This must be done in a food processor and not a blender. This recipe is 90% procedure and 10% ingredients. Follow the instructions step by step
Also, here’s a video to help guide you through the process: How to make Garlic Sauce
1) In a food processor, add the garlic cloves, 1/4 cup of the oil, lemon juice, and salt
2) Puree the mixture for about a minute until the mixture has creamed. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides.
3) Stop the processor and add the egg whites. Put the lid back on and start the processor once again.
4) Begin to slowly add the oil in a slow stream as the mixture processes. The mixture will begin to thick as you mix in the oil.
5) Once you’ve fully incorporated the oil, the mixture should be the consistency of mayonnaise. If it is too thin, add about another 1/4 cup oil.